- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
There is no better way to rejuvenate your health than by eating
more nutritiously. In fact, even a few simple changes in your diet and
lifestyle can have a positive impact on your health-and can also prevent
a variety of health problems in the future.
The traditional coffee and doughnuts for breakfast; a hamburger for
lunch-or no lunch; candy, cookies, and a soft drink for a snack;
followed by a huge dinner with more protein than a person needs-are
unhealthy dietary choices. As a result, younger people are starting to
suffer from heart disease-not only because of poor diet, but also
because of an epidemic of inactivity.
To reverse the alarming trend, many doctors of chiropractic urge
patients to stop smoking, eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water,
exercise regularly, and augment their balanced diets with appropriate
The American Chiropractic Association offers the following prevention and wellness advice:
• Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes three or four days a week.
• Eat out more sparingly. Food preparation methods in restaurants often involve high amounts- and the wrong types-of fat and sugar.
• Brown-bag your lunch to control your fat and sugar intake while adding nutritious fruits, vegetables, and grains.
• Limit alcohol and quit smoking. Drinking alcohol excessively and/or smoking hinder your body's ability to absorb nutrients from your food.
• Eat more raw foods. Cooking and canning destroys much of the nutrition in foods. With the exception of canned tomatoes, which can help prevent prostate cancer,1 fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables always have more natural vitamins and minerals.
• Select organically grown foods when possible because they have lower amounts of toxic elements, such as pesticides and heavy metals.
• Consume 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day. Whole-grain breads and
cereals, beans, nuts, and some fruits and vegetables are good sources of
fiber. High-fiber diets can help prevent digestive disorders, heart
disease, and colon cancer.
• Drink eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, and alcohol are
dehydrators. Don't substitute them for water.
Research shows that a good vegetarian diet as part of a comprehensive health program can help prevent heart disease, cancer, and other diseases.2,3 If you are considering a vegetarian diet, keep the following tips in mind:
• Don't rely on fruits and vegetables at the expense of grains and legumes. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables to consume a wide range of nutrients.
• Tiredness, malaise, and anemia can be signs of deficiencies. Have your B12 and iron levels checked at least once a year.
• Consume fortified foods or take supplements to obtain the nutrients you no longer get from animal-based products, such as vitamin B12.
• Before eliminating animal products from the diet, learn to do it right. Children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and people recovering from illness should consult their health care practitioners.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, dietary supplements are not substitutes for foods, nor can a person sustain good health by just taking vitamin and mineral supplements.4 When taken properly, however, supplements can play an important role in achieving maximum health. If you are considering nutritional supplements, keep the following tips in mind:
• Remember to consume dark green vegetables, oils, nuts, and seeds, which are sources of magnesium, fatty acids, and many other vitamins and minerals.
• Don't "self-prescribe." Consult a health care practitioner, such as a doctor of chiropractic, to
determine what supplements are best for you. If you have symptoms such as headaches, chronic fatigue, or cardiac problems, seek professional advice from a health care provider who specializes in nutrition.
We now offer hydrotherapy on our AquaThermassage III table. It combines heat, flotation, and massage through 12 powerful jets that simultaneously massage your entire back and legs, while fully clothed. The ultimate relaxation break, also COMPLIMENTARY with every chiropractic treatment!